Your baby’s health is paramount. Our clinic offers comprehensive care that includes in-clinic treatment and home exercises.
Designed specifically for babies ages 2 to 12 months, this program is for babies who:
• can’t look over both shoulders fully and equally
• either favor turning or tilting their heads one way
• don’t lift their heads up in the tummy time position
• are developing a flat spot or bump on their heads
• are not reaching important milestones such as crawling, sitting or walking
Benefits Of Our Head and Neck Development Program:
• Normal range of motion of head and neck.
• Improving and progressing strength of head & neck muscles.
• Total body and core stability.
• Improving positioning of head toward mid-line and overall symmetry.
• Home program specific to your baby’s needs.
• Includes age-appropriate motor milestone activities and exercises.
• Between your daily efforts and ours with PT, we should expect to see consistent progress over time.
• Learn how to avoid future problems.
How long before benefits are realized?
Between your daily efforts with your baby’s home program and ours with PT, we should expect to see consistent progress over time.
Be Wary Of…
Not seeing your baby alternate head position when lying on his/her back. He/she may be susceptible to developing a flat spot in the back of the head due to constant and frequent pressure from the bed. Be wary of not seeing your baby eventually take to tummy time. On average, a 2 month old is able to raise his/her head up in the tummy time position, for a few seconds, and do so at least 3 to 5 times in one sitting. On average, a 4 month old is able to completely raise his/her head and sometimes lift the chest off the bed by pushing up through the forearms. They are able to maintain this position for 5 to 10 minutes before getting tired. If your baby is nowhere near these accomplishments relative to their age, it is appropriate to do a few sessions of physical therapy to learn a home exercise program which will help your baby accomplish all age-appropriate milestones.
Why Act Now?
Act now so you can discover if your baby has head and neck challenges that can cause him/her to be behind with age appropriate gross motor skills. By acting now, you will learn what to do and what not to do at home, which can make a significant difference in your baby’s head and neck development. By acting now, you will have access to safe and effective exercises, which will significantly progress your baby toward age-appropriate milestones. You will also have more time to address any challenges we discover, thus improving your baby’s overall success rate. Putting this off may cause your baby to fall further behind, or develop alternate motor strategies that do not utilize symmetry and stability. These alternate strategies can prevent your baby from progressing to the next phase of motor milestones. Putting this off may also result in abnormal development of neck muscles resulting in torticollis, plagiocephaly, brachycephaly and associated developmental delays.
Your baby’s PT will work with you to put together a program that incorporates both PT and home exercises. If you are successful at home with the daily program, you may only need to bring your baby in every few weeks. If you are not as able or successful at home, you may need to bring your baby in more frequently. We offer a 30% discount to those paying cash out of pocket. We also offer a payment plan for those with financial hardship.